Thursday 6 February 2014

February.. how time whizzes by....

It's been a while since I posted.

Here's my updated tri-fold brochure.


This was made using Scribus which is an open source freeware version of MS Publisher (kinda, sorta). I think it works quite well. My design skills aren't superb obviously but I think it gets a message across.

I could kid myself that it's a tribute to Andy Warhol's Campbell Soup Cans or cite the debt it owes to Futurama but that would giving the game away wouldn't it?

Plan is to get this (or some cut down version of it) into the local primary school newsletter.
Next would be to figure out how to print a heap of 'em and distribute them somehow/somewhere.

I've also done some work on stickers and business cards to be used in personal representation and to promote repeat business. 


OUTSIDE

INSIDE

 

Print these images onto each side of a piece of A4 paper and fold into thirds to make a leaflet 99mm wide by 210mm high. 


I've worked out a scheme of charges and included some thoughts about the actual offer for the customers. (i.e. parts at cost and free quotes.)

Also I've decided to not just do computers. But I think most of the custom will be laptops.
I do have the skill, the electrical licence and the experience to fix just about any appliance (except photocopiers). But there's little to be gained from repairing any appliance that costs $10 to replace. So I won't get any toasters.

I've spent a bit of time lately working on my home workshop: tidying it and sorting out the mess. Mrs Repair Oil helped a lot here, Thanks, darl....

I fixed a Windows 8 notebook over Christmas and learned a few new things about Windows 8 as a result. (eg. the 'charms' bar... snicker, snicker...)  My impression is "lots of pretty, pretty but Windows 8 is not that different to use than Windows 7".

And I've got me a Blu Ray writer after holding out for a lo-o-ong time... (**years!!!**). It was under $100 and does a 25GB data disc in about 15 minutes.Discs can be had for $7 for 10....so ok....

I want to post some interesting repair stories on this blog so I'm on the look out for some. Till I get an audience it's hard to tell what is interesting to anyone. I don't want to discuss politics or personal issues. Just stuff about fixing things and this little business.

I'll start with a scatter gun approach and see if anyone screams or purrs....Till next time.... ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.